Hi there! Sorry it's been a while . . . I rented a whole bunch of American Girl books from the library and I've been very busy reading . . . But, today I am here to review/give you my thoughts on Blaire's first and second books ("Blaire" and "Blaire Cooks Up A Plan")!
CAUTION: CONTAINS SPOILERS
(By the way, this is a review of both of her books, not just one.)
THINGS I LIKED ABOUT THE BOOKS:
1. Blaire's best friend, Thea (her full name is Theodora), was pretty funny. She was very dramatic, and liked to talk in funny accents.
2. I totally understand what it's like to be lactose intolerant, because that's what my brother is. (Although he can just take a pill, unlike Blaire.)
THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE ABOUT THE BOOK:
1. They all said: "OMG" and "Oh my gosh" (which are words I am not allowed to say) WAY too much. It was literally on the same page, like, AT LEAST 3 times! It was crazy! Plus, she was speaking in texting talk. She said: "L-O-L", and I was like, "Why is she speaking in texting talk?" And overall, the language in the book was just . . . I don't know, it just didn't seem like the author had a very big vocabulary (I think my younger sister and I have a larger vocabulary). With the BeForever books, they literally seem like they were written back then. They use tons of big words, and the writing just seems better. Also, I found A LOT of misspellings and incorrect punctuation in the book. It always amazes me how many mistakes like that they can let slip through and no one notices.
2. The book just seemed way too unrealistic the way everything happened. It didn't seem like any of the stuff in her book could happen. I mean, come on, they let her plan the wedding? She runs around holding her chicken a bunch, too. No one does that! My family used to have chickens, and believe me, you do not want to be holding that animal (and it doesn't want you to be holding it) when it needs to relieve itself . . . (Also, they always ways say how Blaire is a cook and a party planner, but really, I think she's more of an interior designer.)
3. On the "About The Author" page in the book, it said that she (Jennifer Castle) liked coming with ways to turn her "idea-sparks" into reailty. And through out the ENTIRE first (and second) book, all Blaire talked about was her "idea-sparks", and it drove me crazy!!! (I can't stand it when a writer keeps wording things the same way, so it was absolute TORTURE for me . . .)
4. Blaire's attitude. I thought she was very mean to her family and friends, and very disrespectful to her parents and grandfather.
So, yeah. There were a lot more things I didn't like about the book than things I did . . . I rented Blaire's books expecting them to be like Luciana's (some of my favorite books ever), and was very disappointed . . . 😔 When I read Tenney's books, I decided that I didn't like the books, and I didn't want to get the doll (even though she was gorgeous). I'm kind of feeling that way with Blaire, but I'm not sure yet . . . I read Luciana's books, and it made me want the doll, so I bought her. I think that American Girl really needs to check their work before they publish it with so many misspellings and such, and they should get better writers.
Sorry this review was kind of long . . . I just needed to rant to someone. XD